Since 2009, the Upstart Program (formally the Upstart Festival) has ushered in fresh talent with an intriguing festival of performances, pre-performance shares, roundtable discussions, and workshops.
The Upstart Festival Program is designed to give creators of dance, theater and performance works, who have no more than three years of experience showing their work in New York City, an opportunity to show work and to facilitate networking opportunities that pave the way for fruitful artistic careers.
Originally the brain-child of Shannon Hummel (BAX Artist in Residence 2005-07, Artist Advisor 2007-08), the festival is currently curated by former BAX Artists In Residence Jillian Peña (2011-13) and Fernando Maneca (2004-06).
- Be interested in developing new work OR working on a project in early stages of development
- Be able to commit to all required dates (see below)
- NOT be full time students. Full time students may NOT apply for this opportunity.
- Be a resident of one of the five NYC boroughs
Application deadline: Monday, October 2, 2017 | 5:00PM
Artists will be notified on or before Monday, October 16, 2017
IMPORTANT DATES (all required)
- Orientation – November 6, 2017
- Show and Share (previous to performance) – January 20, 2018
- Upstart performances – March 16-17, 2018
- Post Performance Convening – Monday, April 2, 2018
Artists receive a $100 stipend and 10 hours of free rehearsal space. (5 hours will be available between the orientation and the Show and Share. The remaining 5 hours will be available between the Show and Share and the performance. Additional hours outside of the allotted 5/5 breakdown will be available at a $5/hr discounted rate. Artists must identify themselves as Upstart Program participants to receive discounted rate.)
If you have questions about this program and/or curation guidelines, please contact
email@example.com with the subject line: UPSTART APPLICATION
If you are having trouble with this application please contact Artist Services Manager, Teri-Ann Carryl, firstname.lastname@example.org